Cleaning paint rollers is not as easy as you may think. Funny enough, it requires skills. There are different rollers and they have different frames and widths and it’s not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. You need to apply techniques to save time, energy, and money. That being said, before we explain how you can clean them, we need to explore the list of equipment you need to achieve this feat.
The following are equipment you need when cleaning paint rollers; a Stiff-bristled brush, rubber gloves, eye protection, bucket, putty knife, etc.
Then you will need a disposable container, newspapers (old ones preferably), rags, mineral spirits, and some dishwashing liquids.
For oil-based rollers, use this method.
- Dip a rag in a mineral spirits container until it is dampened.
- Start from the roller frame and paint tray and scrub with a brush.
- Wear rubber gloves and apply solvent use your hands and wash the roller thoroughly.
- After a couple of minutes, remove it from the solvent and squeeze hard until all the mineral spirits are out completely.
- Rinse again with fresh mineral spirits and squeeze; this time to remove excess solvent.
- Finally, use water that contains dishwasher liquid and rinse the brush. Make sure you rinse it well before you leave it to dry. Cleaning paint rollers just got easier, right?
For Water-Based Paint Rollers, use this method.
- Use a knife (a putty knife preferably) and scrape the brush. This is done to remove the excess paint that may still be adhering to the brush.
- Using gloved hands, extract the roller from the frame to clean the frame. Put some dishwasher liquid in a bucket of water and wash.
- Leave it to dry.
- To wash the roller, dip it in the water with the dishwasher liquid and massage it with your gloved hands.
- After you’ve thoroughly washed the roller, rinse it very well with fresh water.
- To dry, leave it upright or use a hanger.
- Use soapy water to clean the paint tray.
This is how to go about cleaning paint rollers.
Use this technique if water-based paint is stuck to your clothes.
This article is not all about cleaning paint rollers, we will also show you tricks to get rid of the different types of paint stains.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the paint drip as much as possible.
- Flush the inside of the cloth with water (warm water preferably).
- Use detergent and plenty of water to wash the spot. Use alcohol if it is proving to be stubborn.
Use this technique if oil-based paint is stuck to your clothes
- Get a paper towel and paint thinner from your local store.
- Put the paper towel under the stained area
- Apply paint thinner on that spot and brush with a spoon or brush.
- Apply liquid detergent on the spot and leave it overnight.
- Launder the next day.
Can you remove paint stains from Upholstery?
Short answer, yes. But, you will need a lot of tricks to achieve this. It is a bit trickier than cleaning paint rollers.
First of all, you will need a dull knife, a lot of time, and patience. You should hire a professional to do this before you mess up the whole thing.
What do you think about cleaning paint rollers? We want to hear from you; use the comment box!